The best things to do in Duluth evolves and changes with each exciting season. As the snowy activities melt away, they are replaced with fun new things to do in Duluth during the warmer, sunnier weather. In spring the winter cross-country skiing trails are transformed into a playground for hikers and mountain bikers. While the breeze from Lake Superior pleasantly cools those walking the scenic Lakewalk or strolling the sandy beaches on Park Point. Kayaking tours and charter fishing boats cruise the vast lake waters under blue skies. Beautiful scenic drives lead to the dramatic lake, forest, and cliffside views.
Locals and visitors alike celebrate the springtime outdoor recreation. However, all the wonderful indoor entertainment continues for romantic nights in the city. Duluth offers world-class dining, a lively craft beer community, museums, historic sites, ballet, and theater. Your days and evenings will be filled with adventure on a wonderful spring vacation to fascinating Duluth.
At the Solglimt Bed and Breakfast, we cannot wait for those first warm spring days in Duluth. While we love to cozy up by the fire during snowy winter months, our waterfront views of Lake Superior are unbeatable from the rooftop deck. This vista, with 360-degree panoramic of the lake and city, cannot be beaten on sunny Duluth day. Our guests also enjoy easy access to the beaches of Park Point and all the dining, shopping and entertainment in Canal Park. Reserve your luxurious guest suite for a romantic getaway and discover all the amazing things to do in Duluth this spring.
10 Things to do in Duluth for the Best Spring Vacation
While some of the best things to do in Duluth remain the same, no matter the season, spring means the beginning of all the wonderful warm-weather activities. Hiking trails, bike paths, sunny beaches, and shimmering Lake Superior all invite locals and visitors to come out and play. Plan your perfect spring vacation and fill your days and nights with all these great things to do in Duluth.
- Lake Superior – Duluth sits on a stunning lake and as the days warm up, it becomes busy with activity. The iconic Aerial Lift Bridge rises more than 20 times each day for ships and boats traveling to the Duluth Harbor. It’s quite a show watching the bridge lift and the massive cargo ships glide through. The lovely Lakewalk and Park Point Beach are also wonderful places to bike and stroll along the lake. For more excitement join a kayaking tour through Duluth Experience and Day Trippers of Duluth.
- Hiking – The beautiful parks and trails all around Duluth come alive with hikers and mountain bikers as soon as the snow melts away. Serious hikers will find over 200 miles of trails on the amazing Superior Hiking Trail. Local parks such as Hartley Park, Chester Park, and Enger Park offer shorter day hikes, many with great views. While the Hawk Ridge Bird Nature Reserve combines scenic hikes with impressive sightings of majestic raptors.
- Biking – The spring trails are even more exciting cruising on a mountain bike and Duluth has a huge choice of amazing biking trails. Even the nearby ski resort, Spirit Mountain, turns into a mountain bikers dream in the spring. For guided bike tours check out the ones offered by Duluth Experience or Day Tripper of Duluth. While the Lakewalk trail offers a gentle path for the casual biker.
- Scenic Drives & Rides – Duluth is lucky to have access to two of the best scenic drives in the country. The North Shore Drive has over 140 miles of amazing lake and forest views with must-see stops at Gooseberry Falls, Ion’s Beach and the clifftop Split Rock Lighthouse. While The Duluth Skyline Parkway also offers an idyllic drive with wonderful views, its “Seven Bridges Road” extension is truly amazing with picturesque streams and rustic stone bridges. The North Shore Scenic Railroad also has great scenic trips with no driving required.
- Museums – The Tweed Museum of Art and Duluth Art Museum make a relaxing afternoon for art lovers. History buffs will enjoy a day at the Lake Superior Railroad Museum. And who wouldn’t enjoy watching the otters play at the Great Lakes Aquarium?
- Historic Sites – Any trip to Duluth must include a tour at the historical Glensheen Mansion and the gardens are especially lovely in the spring. Learn all about the iron ore industry that made Duluth the city it is today touring the SS William A. Irvin. Sit back and relax on a Duluth Experience Historic Tour and learn all about this amazing lakeside city.
- Shopping – After a day of sightseeing stroll the quaint streets of Canal Park and explore all the small shops and boutiques. This former warehouse district is now a lively neighborhood with great shops, bars, and restaurants. The Dewitt-Seitz Marketplace, a renovated warehouse, houses 11 shops and restaurants under its roof.
- Breweries – Duluth loves its beer and has a very lively brewing community. If you’re new to the city try a The Duluth Experience Brewery Tours to get a comprehensive overview. One of the first to set up shop was the Canal Park Brewing Company and they offer tastings and tours. Other favorites to check out are Blacklist Beers, Ursa Minor Brewing, Hoops Brewing, Fitger’s Brewhouse, Lake Superior Brewing, and Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- Dining – When you’re ready for a relaxing lunch with a view or romantic dinner, Duluth has plenty of choices. For great pub food and local beer, the options are endless but a few popular places are Clyde Iron Works Restaurant and Bar, Grandma’s Saloon and Grill, Pickwick Restaurant & Pub, and Endion Station Public House. Bellisio’s Italian Restaurant & Wine Bar, Lake Avenue Restaurant, and Va Bene Caffe offer wonderful menus in intimate settings, perfect for a date night. While At Sara’s Table and the Scenic Café are also amazing restaurants off the beaten path.
- Entertainment – Duluth entertainment venues have something for everyone from ballet, musicals, concerts, and sporting events. The Duluth Entertainment Convention Center (DECC) hosts world-class concerts and conventions for every interest. It’s also the home to the Duluth Superior Symphony Orchestra and the Minnesota Ballet. For the best live theater, the beautiful Duluth Playhouse stages famous musicals, comedies, dramas as well as original plays. Or combine fine dining with entertainment at the Zeitgeist Arts Cafe.
The Best Duluth Bed and Breakfast
Plan an unforgettable vacation this spring and enjoy all these great things to do in Duluth. After a long winter, a romantic getaway to the luxurious Solglimt Bed and Breakfast will warm up your spring. Book your room with us today for a wonderful lakeside retreat.