There is an abundance of things to do in Duluth that range from strolling along beautiful walkways to historic sites to outdoor adventures! Located on the North shore of Lake Superior this port city is a destination in the Midwest. Known for its “shipping season”, where spectators come to watch the cargo ships arrive and depart from the harbor, this town is home to the impressive Aerial Lift Bridge. This city is definitely a shipping, tourist, and outdoor enthusiast mecca and as a result, there are a plethora of things to do in Duluth!
Our lakeshore bed and breakfast is ready to welcome you to the calming waters and city of Duluth! Our cozy and comfortable accommodations are just the place you need for a lakeside retreat. We offer you uniquely appointed and decorated guest suites, gardens to explore, decks to look out over the lake and relax on, and gourmet breakfasts to get your day started out right.
Located right near Canal Park, you’ll have a front-row seat to the action happening in the harbor as ships arrive and depart. Here you can relax and let the stress melt away. You’ll feel as if you have your own private lakehouse to unwind at. If you are ready for the ultimate Duluth getaway, book your stay with us today!
Our Favorite Things to do in Duluth
Duluth Minnesota is a dynamic city set on one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. Within minutes you can go from an area with world-class restaurants and shopping to a rugged coastline surrounded by forests. This town has a long and varies history mainly centering around the thriving shipping economy here. This is a place you’ll want to return to both because just one trip won’t fit in all there is to do and see here, but also because you will want to return to old favorites. Here are our favorite things to do in Duluth.
- You can’t visit Duluth without seeing and exploring the amazing Canal Park. Home to the iconic Aerial Lift Bridge as well as many other popular attractions, this area is a centerpiece of the city offering walkways, views of ships coming in and out of the harbor, shopping, dining, and many other things to do in Duluth. This area connects the downtown to the lakefront and is the heart of the city in many ways. Get a picnic, go for a stroll, or just sit, relax and people watch.
- The magnificent 39 room Glensheen Mansion belonged to one of Minnesota’s most wealthy and influential families. You can tour the house along with the over 12-acres of estate formal gardens to explore. You can take the classic self-guided tour or take the full mansion tour where you’ll see all 5 floors of the house. This is definitely one of the more interesting things to do in Duluth!
- The Lake Superior Railroad Museum was named the “Best Transportation Museum in America” by USA Today. Here you can see the impressive collection of historic railroad equipment that helped build Minnesota. The museum is housed in the Union Depot downtown and offers interactive exhibits and 2 working collections of model trains.
- If you are looking to stop and smell the roses then you should head over to Duluth’s Rose Garden, which is an extension of the Leif Erikson Park along Lake Superior. In this beautiful place, there are over 3,000 rose bushes with hundreds of varieties. There is a fountain, a marble gazebo, and direct access to the Lakewalk and to the many other things to do in Duluth.
- If beer is what you are craving after exploring some of the things to do in Duluth, then head over to Bent Paddle Brewing Co. Here they use the waters of Lake Superior to brew the freshest craft beer as possible, They pride themselves on the inventiveness of their brews and try to “bend the tradition” of the classic style to create a refreshing drinkable beer.
- If you are looking to get out and stretch your legs one of the best things to do in Duluth is to go for a hike on the Superior Hiking Trail. With a section that goes right through Duluth, you’ll be able to experience the rugged forest landscape of this area.
- The North Shore Drive is another great way to get out and see the lakeshore landscape. Starting in Canal Park in Duluth, and up through woodlands and towns, the drive ends at Grand Portage. While you don’t have to drive the entirety there are some must-see stops like Gooseberry Falls State Park and Split Rock Lighthouse and State Park.
- The North Shore Scenic Railroad is a heritage railroad that operates between Duluth and Two Harbors. Of all the things to do in Duluth, this is one of the most exhilarating. The train rides along the historic lakefront line where you’ll get views of Lake Superior, the downtown skyline, and the beautiful Northwoods. Choose from a variety of trips. There is something for everyone.
- The Great Lakes Aquarium is one of the more unique things to do in Duluth as this is where you can see a variety of species that are found in the Great Lakes Basin as well as freshwater and marine habitats. The aquarium features river otters, regional birds, freshwater fish, and even seahorses.
- We can’t have a list of our favorite things to do in Duluth and not include watching ships come in from all over the world during shipping season. Each year over 900 vessels pass through the Aerial Lift Bridge bringing cargo. You can follow the schedule to see what kind of ship is coming in and what it is carrying. Be on the lookout for “lakers” and “salties” the two types of ships.
The Best Duluth Lodging
While exploring all of our favorite things to do in Duluth our Lake Superior bed and breakfast will be your retreat at the end of the day. Here you can kick up your feet, relax with a beverage, and watch as the world goes by. Our Duluth lodging just happens to be within walking distance of many of the attractions that are on our list of favorite things. Your guest suite is just the place you’ll need to unwind.
Each room is uniquely and eclectically decorated reflecting the vibrancy of Duluth and the surroundings. Amenities include a full breakfast made with locally grown and organic foods, private baths, access to our award-winning gardens, walks on the beach just outside, and much more! If you want the best place for an escape along the shores of Lake Superior, book your stay with us today!