The Aerial Lift Bridge that spans the Duluth ship canal in Duluth Minnesota is definitely a centerpiece of this unique city. Situated on the shores of glittering Lake Superior, Duluth is a summer vacation paradise offering everything from shopping and museums to green spaces and parks to relax next to the water. Watching ships pass by underneath the Aerial Lift Bridge, arriving and departing the harbor, is another pastime enjoyed by both locals and visitors alike during the peak of shipping season.
The Aerial Lift Bridge is a spectacular and distinct structure that should not be missed on a trip to Duluth. Solglimt Bed and Breakfast just happens to be located in close proximity to this awe-inspiring piece of engineering as well as being near the lakefront and all the activities offered at Canal Park. If you are looking for a lakeside retreat that is close to all the amazing attractions that Duluth has to offer, book your stay today!
Walk Across the Aerial Lift Bridge in Duluth
The Aerial Lift Bridge, which goes across the Duluth ship canal, leads cargo ships into the twin ports from Lake Superior. This steel structure connects the areas of Canal Park to an area known as Park Point or Minnesota Point. The hulking bridge is hard to miss along the skyline of this Minessota town and therefore is a popular stop for visitors.
Most people walk up to the bridge from below, watching the ships pass by. You can watch as it lifts vertically into the sky to a full height of 135 feet. What most people don’t know, is that you can actually walk across the bridge for a unique and exhilarating experience! Here are 3 great reasons to walk across the Aerial Lift Bridge in Duluth this summer.
- The views! From up on the Aerial Lift Bridge you’ll be able to access a view of the canal and the surrounding area that not many visitors get. Looking below into the deep waters of the canal and watching as a 1,000 feet ship is arriving or departing is sure to be an unforgettable experience.
- A walk on the Aerial Lift Bridge is the chance to be on an uncommon structure and to get an up-close and personal look at the construction of one of only 2 such bridges that have been built in the country. By walking across you’ll be able to see and appreciate the engineering feat that the Aerial Lift Bridge really is!
- Walking over the Aerial Lift Bridge gets you over to beautiful Canal Park. There is much to see and do in this popular spot that anchors the gorgeous lakefront of Duluth.
Things to do in Canal Park
There is an extensive list of things to do in Canal park, especially during the summer months. Here are some must-do activities for this amazing summertime spot.
- The Lake Superior Maritime Visitor Center and Museum is a great first stop in Canal Park. Here you can find information about shipping and the schedule of when ships arrive and depart, learn the history of Lake Superior, and see artifacts from sunken ships of the past.
- A stop at the lighthouse is worth a visit. From here you can get a great view and is one of the better spots to watch ships coming into the harbor.
- The Canal Park Lakewalk is for sure the crown jewel of this area! The lakewalk stretches from Bayfront Festival Park all the way to 61st Avenue East. There are approximately 7.25 miles of the lakefront park to enjoy. It is used by both locals and tourists as it is a relaxing location to stroll along Lake Superior. This is also a great place to rent a bike and enjoy a ride along the water.
- The Great Lakes Aquarium features animals and habitats found within the Great Lakes region as well as exhibits on animals from other freshwater ecosystems like the Amazon River. Definitely worth a stop!
- Amazing restaurants and shops are in close proximity to Canal Park and the Aerial Lift Bridge. During this time of social distancing why not grab some take out from one of many restaurants and make it a picnic along the water!
Stay at our luxurious lakefront Inn
Solglimt Bed and breakfast has the fortune of being located near the engineering marvel of the Aerial Lift Bridge and gorgeous Canal Park. Relax at our lakefront inn and enjoy the height of summer as it should be. From one of many decks you can soak in the sun and the views of the expanse of Lake Superior.
After a day exploring the Aerial Lift Bridge and Canal Park, you’ll want to unwind in your comfortable and quiet guest room. You also may find yourself retreating to our private gardens or enjoying the day a little longer along our private sand beach. Bring a good book and let the world melt away. If you are looking for the best summertime getaway with spectacular lake views book your stay today!