If you think that there are a lot of things to do in Duluth during the summer wait until you see what this town offers during the winter months! Having been voted Outdoor Magazine’s “best town ever”, this place really packs a punch when it comes to neverending activities, especially during the colder times. Duluth is situated on the shores of Lake Superior in an area known as the “snow belt”. Because of its location on the lake, this Minnesota city gets its fair share of lake-effect snowmaking this place one of the snowiest in the state! This place turns into a magical winter wonderland and people have no choice but to get out and enjoy it!
Our lakeshore bed and breakfast is here to welcome you this winter! You’ll need a warm, cozy, and comfortable place to relax and our accommodations are a perfect fit. Located on Canal Park, our inn is within walking distance to many attractions and dining. From here you get amazing views of Lake Superior and St. Louis Bay. Winter adventures are not far away. If you are looking for the ultimate winter getaway on the shores of Lake Superior book your stay today!
Things to do in Duluth This Winter
There is a broad range of things to do in Duluth especially when the ground is covered in snow and the world around Lake Superior becomes a playground. Visitors and locals alike relish this amazing time of year. Duluth itself is built on a hillside with lots of ravines that have been turned into parks where people flock to for skiing, snowboarding, and snowshoeing. Areas in and around the town are perfect for exploring and getting outside in the crisp and exhilarating air!
Here are 10 incredible things to do in Duluth this winter.
- Cross country skiing is an amazing way to see the landscape in and around the forests of Duluth. When the snow falls the trails get groomed right away. Places like Lester Park, Magney-Snively Park, and Snowflake Nordic Center offer endless miles of trails to explore.
- Snowshoeing is always a great way to get active when the temperature dips. There is nothing like walking through a silent winter forest and hearing nothing but the crunch of the snow beneath your feet. The first 43 miles of the Superior Hiking Trail traverses across Duluth and is ideal for strapping on snowshoes and going for a walk.
- One of the more adventurous things to do in Duluth would be ice climbing. Think of rock climbing but on a massive frozen-in-time waterfall. Experience this hidden gem of activity at locations such as Casket Quarry, and Gooseberry Falls State Park. Guided tours and ice climbing classes are available at Vertical Endeavors and Positive Energy Outdoors, two organizations committed to inspiring people to get out and enjoy the winter!
- When conditions are right, Lake Superior is a great place to try some ice fishing in the winter. After checking the Minnesota DNR to make sure it’s safe and how to get a fishing license, head out to Brighton Beach where you’ll find a rocky and rugged shoreline. One of the most picturesque in Duluth!
- Fat tire biking through the snow is one of the more unusual things to do in Duluth in the winter which is what makes it that much more memorable! Day Tripper of Duluth offers tours that will outfit and lead you through gorgeous forested trails to rocky bluffs that look over the lake.
- Alaska move over! Minnesota is fast becoming a dog-sledding destination. Endurance Kennels, located 20 miles north of Duluth, offers dog-sled rides and tours. At Positive Energy Outdoors this is the most popular activity. A unique, unforgettable, and best way to see the rugged and snowy landscape.
- Of all the things to do in Duluth this winter, ice skating should be at the top of your list! At Bayfront Park you can skate for free and even use skates of all sizes and styles for free! A quintessential winter activity, ice skating outdoors will surely be unforgettable.
- Another amazing way to enjoy the beauty of a Minnesota winter is by taking a sleigh ride. At Positive Energy Outdoors a team of draft horses takes you on a gentle and relaxing ride through the Northwoods. Of all the things to do in Duluth, this is definitely the most picturesque!
- Skiing is a classic way to enjoy the outside during winter and is probably the most popular of all the things to do in Duluth. This Minnesota town does not have a shortage of options of where to hit the slopes. Spirit Mountain is where locals and visitors alike get out during the winter. Here they offer 22 downhill runs as well as rentals and instructors for anyone wanting a lesson.
- Don’t forget about the events on your list of things to do in Duluth during the winter like the John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon. This is the longest dog sled race in the lower 48 where spectators can watch for estimated checkpoint times and meet the mushers. The Lake Superior Ice Festival includes events such as ice carving, ice racing, playing the lawn game Kubb in the snow, community art projects, and much more!
The Perfect Minnesota Bed and Breakfast
Come back to our lakeside inn for a cozy stay after adventuring out in the cold and snow all day. We have your ultimate comfort in mind as private guest rooms are beautifully appointed and each one is unique. At Solglimt all your needs are met and then some! You’ll get an amazing night’s sleep on your comfortable bed fitted with plush bedding. Relax in your sitting area and curl up with a good book while sipping hot cocoa and watching the snowfall outside your window. You’ll feel as if you have your own secluded lakeside retreat. If you are ready for the best Duluth Minnesota getaway this winter, book your stay today!