The historic Aerial Lift Bridge is one of the most iconic landmarks on Lake Superior. It was constructed in 1905 as the first transporter bridge in the country, also known as a ferry bridge, for its mobility to allow ships to pass under. The Duluth Aerial Lift Bridge takes about one minute to raise and does so about 5,000 times per year. The bridge lights up at night, casting beautiful sparkling lights across the largest freshwater lake in the world.
One of the most popular pastimes in Duluth is watching the massive ships navigate the Canal Park Shipping Canal. If you time your visit to the Canal correctly, you will likely see one or more of these impressive vessels glide under the Aerial Lift Bridge. For those visiting Duluth for an extended weekend or vacation, if you’re interested in the shipping lines and seeing the bridge operate, then you really must stay at our Duluth MN Bed and Breakfast.
Solglimt Lakeshore Bed and Breakfast is ideally situated minutes from Canal Park and is just steps away from the Aerial Lift Bridge. Relax on our garden grounds and back porch and watch the ships as they come into port. It’s the perfect peaceful way to enjoy your coffee in the morning—our delicious custom blend Alakef Coffee, roasted right here in Duluth. We’ll treat you to a fantastic breakfast, and then you’ll be in the ideal place to head out and explore all the best things to do near our Inn. We can’t wait to host you; book your room today!
Aerial Lift Bridge & Shipwatching from our Duluth MN Bed and Breakfast
For those who have an affinity for historic structures, the maritime industry, and shipping schedules, our Duluth MN Bed and Breakfast is the perfect destination. We even have a live cam of Lake Superior and the shipping canal, where you can check on the views 24/7. You’ll see some spectacular views of the Aerial Lift Bridge from our Inn; at night, it’s a sight to behold.
Here are the best things to do near the Aerial Lift Bridge and Canal Park:
- Watching the ships pass under the Aerial Lift Bridge is a must on any visit to Duluth! There are two main kinds of vessels that glide into Duluth: Lakers, which are bulk carriers, and Salties, which often have cranes on the decks. Both types of boats are impressive to see up close as they navigate the Canal. Check out the Duluth ship schedule first to see when boats from all around the world are estimated to arrive or depart from Duluth’s Lake Superior Harbor.
- The Lake Superior Maritime Visitor Center and Museum is also a great stop in Canal Park. Here, you can find information about shipping and the schedule of when ships arrive and depart, learn the history of Lake Superior, and see artifacts from past sunken ships.
- A stop at the Duluth North Pier Lighthouse is worth a visit. From here, you can get a great view, and it is one of the better spots to watch ships entering the harbor.
- Exploring Canal Park is one of the best things to do in Duluth, and it’s all within walking distance of our Duluth MN Bed and Breakfast. You’ll traverse the Aerial Lift Bridge on foot! Here, you can stroll along The Lakewalk pedestrian and biking path. This paved and easily accessible trail hugs the shoreline and connects the Canal Park Duluth District to the city parks, beaches, and downtown.
- This is the perfect area to get out on the water in the warmer months. The Vista Fleet has been voted one of the most scenic boat rides in the Midwest. You’ll get to glide under the Aerial Lift Bridge yourself and sail alongside these giant shipping vessels!
Enjoy the Views at our Duluth MN Bed and Breakfast
There are so many reasons why our guests return to our Duluth MN Bed and Breakfast, we’d like to think our welcoming hospitality is at the top of the list, but the stunning views of the Aerial Lift Bridge and the sparkling Lake Superior are for sure a big draw. Even better, just outside our doorstep, there’s a 120-foot swath of beautiful sandy lakefront with some of the best views of the ships heading into port. It’s one of the most peaceful places to relax and refresh.
Inside, our five tastefully appointed guest suites have private baths with Aveda products and fluffy towels, comfortable beds with fine linens, and more fantastic lake views. Each room is well-appointed with high-end amenities and has its own unique decor and design. At our Duluth MN Bed and Breakfast, we appreciate the finer things in life, from collecting art from local and well-known artists, sipping a lovely glass of wine by the fire, and immersing ourselves in the natural beauty of our city on the lake.
As a guest at our Duluth MN Bed and Breakfast, you’ll have another unique amenity that we would like to mention: our complimentary EV charging station. Our Inn has received accolades for our dedication to operating with green practices. We also recycle and use environmentally friendly products, many locally produced. These choices are good for our guests and our community! Start planning your next getaway and book your room today!